Creating safe and supportive service environments
Creating safe and supportive service environments for children and young people is everyone’s business. Youth Wellbeing Project is committed to providing the highest standard of education and service to children and young people and ensuring they are kept safe from harm.
In order to create a safe and supportive service environment for children and young people, Youth Wellbeing Project maintains ongoing planning and commitment so children and young people:
- Feel safe and protected from harm
- Are and respected, and
- Their best interests are considered and upheld.
The Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Act 2000 (the Act) and the Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Regulation 2011 require regulated organisations to develop and implement a child and youth risk management strategy which aims to keep children and young people safe.
This strategy will help ensure Youth Wellbeing Project is a safe and supportive environment for children and young people, by identifying and minimising risks. Screening Team Members through the ‘Working with Children Check’ system is part of the strategy.
In conjunction with other sections of the Youth Wellbeing Project Directional Policy Manual (internal document), our child and youth risk management strategy child and youth risk management strategy, satisfies the eight minimum requirements and addresses the following:
- A statement of commitment to the safety and wellbeing of children and the protection of children from harm, and
- A code of conduct for interacting with children.
- Written procedures for recruiting, selecting, training and managing staff and volunteers.
- Policies and procedures for handling disclosures or suspicions of harm, including reporting guidelines.
- A plan for managing breaches of your risk management strategy, and
- Risk management plans for high risk activities and special events (not applicable for Youth Wellbeing Project)
- Policies and procedures for managing compliance with the blue card system, and
- Strategies for communication and support.